Friday, September 4, 2009

Disney World for the Mind, part 3

Why should I want to have Lucid Dreams? This is a good question and apart from the fun aspect there are many reasons a person may want to develop the ability to have Lucid Dreams.

How many of us have fears that we could start to overcome in our dreams. I for instance have a fear (Big F) of heights. My hands tremble at being more than a dozen or so feet up off of the ground. I remember the first time I flew in my lucid dreams. I was actually fearful of losing control and plunging to the earth. Funny huh, I knew that there was nothing to fear because I was sleeping but I was afraid anyway. I flew and learned to let go of my fears in my dreams. As a result I have learned to let go of my fear of heights in real life.

In real life there are so many missed opportunities. How nice would it be to talk to a passed loved one and tell them how much they met to us or to confront someone who did not treat us properly. Yes I know the people in our dreams are not real but the feelings of closure you may experience are real.

You may have real problems that you can not seem to solve. While dreaming you have assess to parts of your mind that are normally off limits to you. You may easily find the answer to a problem of love, friendship or other life choices.

Lucid dreaming offers many opportunities that are practical and worthwhile. Beyond solving problems, resolving conflict and overcoming fears there are a myriad of other things that can be accomplished with lucid dreaming. I think the next time I have a lucid dream I may conjure up Sigmund Freud and maybe Carl Jung and we can brainstorm on more ways to use this wonderful skill.

1 comment:

  1. did i ever mention that im damned feed up with bad dreams? every freakin night its a bad dream that keeps me tossing and turning. i cant get a good night's sleep. and no, i dont believe in dream reading. for the most part in reality im a happy person. dont fuckin get it. wish we knew more about the brain and the various tortures it puts us through.

    im almost tempted to pray to all the gods to have mercy and let me have a dreamless sleep!!!

    the thought of dreaming awake sounds nightmarish also, FYI

    ReplyDelete